Campaign Chest Makeover

Well, this is definitely my favorite makeover EVER.  You may recall I purchased this campaign chest at my local thrift store for $25.  All the hardware was in great shape, and I knew all it would need was a good cleaning and fresh coat of white paint.  Here is a reminder of the before:

Here is the progress shot in the basement.  I was complaining about having to paint in the freezing garage, and about the paint not drying fast enough, and the mister suggested that I move to the basement.  (DUH!  Why didn’t I think of that?)

And here are the glorious afters!

I love it.  It’s my favorite piece of furniture ever.

I’m so proud of myself for styling it for the pictures too.  I never do that!  {P.S. Is it weird to only style with books you’ve read? So that you don’t feel like a poser?}

Alright.  I’m off to fill this baby up!

Update: Here is what it looks like now.  Thanks to Apartment Therapy for the feature!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Before and After, Decor, DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Campaign Chest Makeover

1. Neil says:

What’s that leather thing in the tree?

2. This is a great project.
    I am visiting from the CSI project. I am numbers 86,87,88, and 89.

Cheri from http://www.itssoverycheri.com and http://www.thediyclub.com

3. JenT says:

Stuff like this makes me all warm & fuzzy inside! Good eye and it turned out just lovely! JenT

4. JenT says:

Oh & btw, I’m a total poser ;)

5. Georgette says:

it came out so good! It looks so pretty against the colors in your room…great job!

6. That turned out great! I have two campaign pieces that I keep debating between painting a creamy white or going for a fun pop of color. The white on yours looks fantastic!

7. That hardware is so hot, love how it turned out and glad you didn’t jump the gun and paint that too. It looked awful, but now totally makes the piece! Beautiful makeover, nice job. :)

8. I just saw this on Before and After and had to come over and tell you how beautiful it turned out. I love the hardware, by painting the dresser white it really brought it to life. Great job!

9. You did a wonderful job. Good for you for seeing the potential! I am looking for a chest like thing to use for video storage. So I’m on the scout for something with drawers at least 6″ deep. :-)

10. Kim says:

This turned out FABULOUS! My sister and I both had campaign dressers growing up. We got to pick the colors as kids. Mine was green/yellow. Hers blue/red. I know, but hey…Good on my parents for letting US choose what colors we wanted.

How did you paint this? Spray/roller/brush? It looks almost lacquered.

11. Oh my gosh this is amazing! And 25 buckaroos? Fabulous! Found you from Better After

12. Kris says:

LOVE IT! So inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

13. Annie says:

I have been searching for a campaign dresser just like this. I LOVE the white. So crisp and so modern. Great job!

14. Sandy says:

Saw your dresser on Better After. I LOVE what you did to it!! I’ve been stalking Craigslist and my local thrift stores for a long campaign dresser to put in my living room. I found one last night and it appears to be the same shade as your original piece….I was worried I wouldn’t be able to paint it because it is some sort of shiny laminate finish and doesn’t look like i could sand it. (Clueless about this stuff). Did you sand or prime yours? What kind of paint did you use? I hope you don’t mind all the questions. THanks for any pointers!

• Sandy, this is really the first piece of furniture I’ve brushed on vs. spray painting, and it worked just fine! The one thing I didn’t do was get a primer and paint in one, which I would probably do next time. Also, I would give it a light sanding with a fine grit sandpaper between coats. I didn’t do this and you can see some little imperfections if you look closely… Regardless, I love the way it turned out and I’m super happy with it… Good luck! I’d love to see how yours turns out when you are done :-)

15. SixBalloons says:

Wow, it looks amazing! Did you consider leaving it as the wood finish and redoing it with varnish?

16. cassie says:

looks amazing! i love the fresh look of the white against the hardware. visiting from centsational girl!

17. Lisa says:

Great job! I too love the cuff bracelet.

18. Pingback: Arredo militare, un classico intramontabile e moderno | Arredare casa